Thursday, August 10, 2006

Operational Reasons

This is a complaint letter I wrote to Air Deccan a few months ago. The response to my letter to Maruti has prompted me to post this one as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Vikram Vasu
To:
ceo@airdeccan.net
Cc:
santhosh@airdeccan.net ; feedback@airdeccan.net ; refunds@airdeccan.net
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2006 3:40 PM

Subject: Customer (Dis)service at Air Deccan

Dear Captain Gopinath,
I have had an extremely traumatic experience with Air Deccan over the past week. I had booked a ticket on the Coimbatore - Chennai flight DN -116 on Sunday, 26th March 2006 (19:35 pm). I had also booked a ticket on the same sector for Monday, 27th March 2006 (19:35 pm). On 26th March I received an SMS informing me that the Coimbatore - Chennai flight DN -116 on Sunday, 26th March 2006 (19:35 pm) was cancelled due to 'operational reasons'. I am sure this is not exactly headline news at Air Deccan, given how regularly it happens. I called the customer care number to cancel my ticket. When I did this, I specifically asked what the reason for cancellation was, since I had a booked a ticket on the same sector for the following day. I was duly assured that the problem will not be repeated the next day, as this was only due to one-off 'operational reasons'. I cancelled the ticket for the Saturday flight (cancelled by Air Deccan).

On Sunday morning, I received the now all too familiar SMS that the Monday flight DN-116 on Monday, 27th March 2006 (19:35 pm) was cancelled for....surprise, surprise...'operational reasons'. While the first day seemed plausible, two days in a row is a farce. Since I was given a reasonable assurance that this won't happen, I think I am entitled to being a little suspicious. However, I initially gave your airline the benefit of doubt. I immediately called the call centre to cancel the ticket. I spoke to one Mr. Sarish and it turned out to be one the most ridiculous exchanges (even by Air Deccan's very low standards). I began by asking Mr. Sarish why the flight was cancelled for two days in a row. The insipid answer was that he did not know anything beyond 'operational reasons' and that it was not his responsibility to explain the reasons, as this was only a call centre. Excuse me, but is it not the responsibility of a customer care agent to explain why exactly the flight was cancelled ? I put this aside for the moment, as I still needed to cancel the ticket. Mr Sarish then duly informed that according to the system, the flight was not cancelled !! I asked him about the SMS that I received and he said that the flight is indeed cancelled but this has not yet been reflected in the system. The implication of this being I would not receive a full refund, as the flight has not yet been cancelled. I found the logic preposterous and requested that the agent calls me back when the system was updated. I was then informed that since it was only an inbound call centre, I would have to call back later. If your system is down, how in the world is that my problem, especially given the already farcical situation where I have to call to cancel a ticket on a flight that you cancelled. I realised that Mr. Sarish was probably not sufficiently equipped to handle the situation. I therefore asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor who came on line told me that the ticket will be cancelled shortly and that I am not required to call back. However, he still was unable to give me a convincing explanation for why the flight was cancelled. When I asked him why the same flight on the same sector was cancelled for two days in a row, your agent reassured me by saying that Air Deccan has cancelled many flights on other sectors too and therefore I should not feel that I am being targetted !

I thought the matter had ended there, but little did I realise that in the theatre of the absurd, there can be endless twists and turns. One week later, when I checked my credit card account, I was shocked to see that the refund for the Monday, 27th March flight had not yet been made. I immediately called up the call centre (with images of last week's episode still fresh in mind). I spoke to an agent and explained that I had not yet received my refund. The agent took down my details and then had the audacity to claim that I had not yet cancelled the ticket ! I gave her the date (Sunday, 26th March) and time (12:30 pm) when I called to cancel it. She was unable to explain why the refund was not made and asked me to speak to the Floor Supervisor (Ms.Rashmi R). After narrating the now long story to the Floor Supervisor, I indicated that for this extent of disservice, bordering on fraud, I deserve some sort of compensation. All I received was that it is beyond her authority to discuss compensation, and so I should speak to the Floor Manager (Ms. Sajita Nair). The Floor Manager also repeated the same thing, but promised to look into the issue of why the ticket was not cancelled. She later got back to me by saying that she heard the call I made the previous week and confirmed that I had been told the ticket would be cancelled. However, she still does not why the ticket was not yet cancelled, but promised to cancel it, which left me a feeling of deja vu, somewhat. She then suggested I speak to someone higher, but helpfully informed me that even that person will not be able to do anything about this.

I don't think it is unreasonable for me to demand some sort of compensation for this absurd treatment. I know you will immediately say that your official policy clearly states that customers will not be compensated (beyond refunds), under any circumstances. Given that I am yet to receive me refund, I think if the airline is serious about customers, situations like these ought to be treated with greater discretion. At no stage was anyone from Air Deccan even slightly apologetic about my situation. Are polite service and compensation when fraud has been committed, too much to ask for ?

I realise that you have your fair share of problems - high oil prices, pilots not showing up for work, El Nino effect, global warming, Avian bird flu, etc. etc., but canceling flights on such a regular basis destroys what little is left of the airline's fast diminishing credibility.

Having read so many similar stories about customers being disgusted with the service (or lack thereof), I realise that my complaint may be somewhat low down in the Air Deccan bungling hall of shame. I do not expect a reply, as this would be completely against the culture of Air Deccan.

Captain Gopinath, I think you must realise that there is a difference between being low-cost and cheap. Given that your competitors offer nearly the same prices, Air Deccan is quite clearly the latter.

I think some of the fault may lie with me for thinking that reasonable customer service can be expected from Air Deccan. As the old adage goes, 'if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys'.

Since I have been stubbornly and rudely told that I cannot expect to receive any compensation, you have left me with only way to record by disgust.

I have decided not fly on Air Deccan any more.*

Yours,

Vikram Vasu

* Due to operational reasons

4 Comments:

Blogger Vasudev Udhatya said...

soooper machan.. very well written.. probably due to 'operational reasons' captain Gopinath would not have replied back. :-)

August 28, 2006  
Blogger Vinod said...

Super stuff dude!!!

September 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the point unless you got what you wanted from the email to the ceo.

December 03, 2006  
Blogger SR said...

my sympathies! that sounds truly traumatic and your letter puts your points across very well..
i hope you got some sort of recompense for all this?

May 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home